We have created this article for all those people who are looking for the best of the best when it comes to 3TB external hard driveBut also if you are one of those who are tired of looking for and comparing models, this article will still help you.
If you still haven't decided to buy an external hard drive you are about to miss out on a great opportunity and a tremendous investment. Why? Simple: the best external hard drives As they are portable, you can take your files with you wherever you go, and thanks to technological advances, they are cheaper, better quality, more compact and better designed.
The models of 3 TB hard disk We bring you the best reviews from users and experts, and they are also among the best sellers in 2019 both in physical stores and specialized online sites.
There are currently two types of external hard disks: HDDs (Hard Drive Disks) and SSDs (Solid State Drives). The first are the hard disks that we can call classic, they can have an amazing storage capacity. But certain precautions must be taken when moving them and they are, relatively, more delicate. The second, the SSDs, are the race cars in the world of external hard disks, fast, efficient and with less latency. But in commercial terms they are much more expensive and we can only find them with 2 TB.
- 1 What are the features of the best 3 TB external hard drive in 2019?
- 2 The storage capacity
- 3 Interface and connection
- 4 Transfer, read and write speed
- 5 Design
- 6 List of the best 3Tb hard drives of 2019
- 7 WD My Passport Wireless Pro 3 Tb
- 8 Seagate Expansion Portable 3 Tb
- 9 WD Elements 3 Tb
- 10 Toshiba Canvio Basic
- 11 WD My Passport
- 12 Tips when buying a 3 Tb external hard disk
What are the features of the best 3 TB external hard drive in 2019?
Since this article focuses on the best 3TB external hard drivesBut the question arises, what are the features I should consider when buying this valuable device? Here are the features you should consider before purchasing your external hard drive:
The storage capacity
This is by far the most distinguishing factor when looking an external hard driveNowadays you can get them from 500 Gb up to 40 Tb. But the more storage the more expensive it is. We chose the 3 Tb ones for a simple reason: they are the ones that offer a better relation cost vs storage capacity.
Interface and connection
External hard drives can come with either USB or eSATA connection media, but there are more advanced ones with a WIFI connection option. We recommend those that use USB for their compatibility with smartphones, tables, PCs, laptops, among others. Usually the USB ports of external hard drives The modern ones are 3.0, but they are usually compatible with USB 2.0 and/or 2.5 ports, which guarantees an excellent connection speed.
Transfer, read and write speed
For many this is not very important, but it actually carries a lot of weight in the performance of best external hard driveBeing hard drives HDD or mechanical type, its speed is calculated by the revolutions per minute that make the storage disks. The most common among the 3 Tb are about 5400 RPM. Some of the top models of external hard drives ensure higher Rpm.
This characteristic is crucial and that is why we take it in our list. It refers not only to the external appearance, but to the weight, dimensions and quality of the materials with which they are made. Here we seek to gather the best attributes in design considering their portability and resistance.
List of the best 3Tb hard drives of 2019
Without further ado, here we have the best 3Tb hard drives so far in 2019:
WD My Passport Wireless Pro 3 Tb
From the renowned Western Digital brand comes this new, versatile and powerful external hard driveAlthough it is a little heavier than other models, it is because it includes a battery to recharge other devices. This storage unit stands out for:
Buying this product today, ahorras 9,3€ (4%)
- The option to connect wirelessly 802.11 ac, allowing you to send and receive data quickly.
- It has an SD 3.0 card reader with which you can make a quick download of multimedia content.
- Includes a 6400 mAh battery with USB port for charging mobile devices.
- It integrates a Plex media server with which you can classify and send multimedia content.
- Includes My Cloud application which you can access from Apple and Android devices.
- It incorporates its USB 3.0 ports for high-speed transfers, and also has a USB 2.0 port for transferring multimedia content from an external device.
- It measures 12.6 x 12.6 x 2.4 cm and weighs 449 g.
- Compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 and Mac OS (Lion, Sierra, High Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mountain Lion) operating systems
- It comes with the WD Security encryption program.
- It comes with the WD Drive Utilities software installed, which allows a diagnosis of the hard disk status.
Seagate Expansion Portable 3 Tb
This is not only one of the best sellers but also one of the best rated in several online sites. It has a splendid design that not only makes it very attractive visually but also resistant, light and really portable. It is the perfect mix of comfort, quality and good price. Among its features stand out:
- Its dimensions are 11.7 x 8 x 1.5 cm and it weighs only 168 g.
- Includes USB 3.0 cable.
- This storage unit has a 3.0 interface with a respectable transfer rate of 4.9 Gb per second.
- It's one of the external hard drives easier to install and use.
- It has an energy management and saving system.
WD Elements 3 Tb
Again Western Digital puts in our hands another incredible and one of the better external hard driveLight, compact, resistant and easy to install are some of its qualities.
Buying this product today, you save 30.69 (29%)
- It has a data transfer rate of 2.5 Gb per second.
- Its dimensions are 8.21 x 11.06 x 1.5 centimetres and it weighs 130 g.
- It has a USB 3.0 connection, being compatible with devices that have USB 2.5 versions
- While designed for Windows-based PCs, the WD Elemental is formattable for use with a Mac.
- Includes the WD Security encryption program.
- It has installed the WD Drive Utilities software, which gives a diagnosis of the performance and status of the drive.
Toshiba Canvio Basic
This is the external hard drive It's also very resistant to the daily hustle and bustle of everyday life:
- It incorporates a high-speed USB 3.0 port to minimize data transfer time.
- Its dimensions are 11.9 x 7.9 x 2.1 cm
- They're some of the cheapest on the market.
- Its installation is Plug and Play, that is to say, it only connects and gives the mutual recognition with the computer (if they operate with Windows)
- It is very quiet and has little heat.
- Includes USB 3.0 cable.
WD My Passport
This little flashy external hard drive is practical, durable and easy to install. It's another one of these devices that looks more like a box than an external hard drive.
Buying this product today, ahorras 10,99€ (8%)
- Its dimensions are 11 x 8,15 x1, 63 cm and a weight of 245 g.
- It comes in a six-colour presentation, which makes it attractive, but it can also serve as a classification and organisation code by colour system.
- It is in NTFS format, which makes it compatible with computers running the Windows operating system. To be used on a Mac, it must be reformatted.
- It includes backup and file organization programs, such as WD Backup and Acronis True image.
- It has the WD Security encryption program.
- Comes with the installation of the WD Drive Utilities software, which gives a performance and status diagnosis of the 3 Tb external hard drive
- USB 3.0 connectivity, with a data transfer rate of 4800 Mb per second. Also compatible with USB 2.0.
- Back up automatically.
Tips when buying a 3 Tb external hard disk
We already showed you the 5 best 3Tb external hard drives But if you prefer to evaluate the models on your own, we will still help you. The first thing to consider is how you will use your external hard driveAnd if it's a piece of equipment that you have to carry around with you all the time, it's better to choose a lightweight, compact and rugged storage device.
Another consideration is whether you're going to connect it to a compatible operating system device. As you've seen from our list, most are compatible with Windows, but to use the external hard drive on a Mac, you must reformat.